The Equality Act 2010 replaced all existing equality legislation such as the Race Relations Act, Disability Discrimination Act and Sex Discrimination Act.
Public bodies are required to have due regard to the need to:
- Eliminate discrimination and other conduct that is prohibited by the Act,
- Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it,
- Foster good relations across all characteristics – between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it.
- Schools are required to publish information to demonstrate how they are complying with the Public Sector Equality Duty, and to prepare and publish equality objectives. This information must be updated annually, and objectives published at least once every four years.
- This information is only concerned with our obligations to pupils (and prospective pupils).