Intent - What we are trying to achieve?
At Yealmpstone Farm Primary School, the intent of our curriculum and PE ethos is:
- To promote physical activity and a healthy lifestyle so that all pupils are meeting the CMO's advice of at least 30 minutes of activity in school each day
- To develop social co-operation; positive attitudes and a greater sense of personal best so that all children can feel proud and included in PE
- To develop every child's fundamental movement skills, agility, balance and co-ordination through the REAL PE Programme at a personal level
- To provide equal opportunities for all children regardless of race, gender, background or ability to take part in a wide range of traditional and non-traditional sports both inside and outside of school so that all children can reach their potential and find their passion
- To expose children to high quality PE teaching in a wide range of traditional sports, leading to healthy intra and inter school competition
We believe that Physical Education (PE) is fundamental to our children’s development and learning. Not only does it engage and motivate children, but it is a great way for our children to develop life skills such as teamwork, determination and respect.
Implementation - How will we achieve this?
At Yealmpstone Farm Primary School we are committed to providing at least two hours of high quality PE per week for all our pupils. These two hours comprise of:
- One hour of quality 'traditional' PE lessons where children will be taught a range of sports such as: gymnastics, rugby, dance, athletics many more. We are also developing some more non-traditional units of work such as golf and disc golf. In this, the children learn to work together as a team and are rewarded for skills such as aspiration, inspiration and fair play.
- One hour of REAL PE with a fundamental movement skill focus. This is where children develop their personal movement skills and work on their personal best. The unit of work is child centred and engaged so that all children can participate equally. Children work on a FUNS wheel and challenege themselves at a rate they are comfortable with. REAL PE focuses around 6 main 'Cogs' 1. Personal 2.Socal 3. Creative 4. Physical 5. Health & Fitness 6. Cognative. This is where children learn and focus on positive learning skills.
A Healthy Life-style is promoted with opportunities for children to stay active and eat healthily throughout the day. For more information, please read our Platinum Schools Games Mark application which is available below.
Healthy Schools Week: For one week a year in the summer term, Yealmpstone Farm Primary has a massive week designed to boost our healthy lifestyle ethos. We have a multitude of workshops such as: nutrition, mental health, wellbeing and mindfulness and yoga. We also hold a range of activities across the week such as: archery, fencing, bike rides, sporting events, running, and inter-school competitions in rounders, disc golf and quick-cricket. Lastly, having role models in sports is essential so each year we welcome an Olympic Athlete to tell us about their work and run a fitness workshop school wide. This is a fantastic opportunity for children to have face time with top athletes. Most recently, in 2019, we met Molly Caudry, an Olympic Competitor in the Pole Vault who won silver medal in the European championships.
Play leaders, Sports Council and Sports prefects are also trained to lead PE in the school at a child-to-child level. They provide feedback to staff and help ensure that break and lunch are fun, active and happy.
Impact - What difference will this make?
The impact of our PE curriculum and ethos is clear:
- Sports Council: At Yealmpstone Farm we have a sports council who meet with the PE Co-ordinator termly and discuss events, the curriculum and potential developments to our active school. These children act as a voice and help drive PE.
- Activity Tracking: Each child at YFPS has their activity levels tracked termly so that children with lower activity levels can be invited to special events and festivals. These children are also invited to Change4Life clubs and events. Following these invitations attendance rates in after school clubs have risen. More advanced and competative events can be targeted at children who show great talent in specific sports and this gives them a chance to excel.
- UNS Wheels: Each child has a fundamental movement wheel. This is a tracking tool where children can show the teacher how their personal best has improved. The wheel is split into 12 areas/challenges which provide a detailed representation of each child's development in key skills which are essential for all sports.
- Bespoke training and consultation: Our partnership with the PSSP includes termly CDP and lesson observations with PE experts who ensure that our PE lessons are being taught to the highest quality. This also runs in liaison with our PE Co-ordinator, Mr Baker.
To see the clubs run at lunchtimes and after school click here
Yealmpstone Farm Primary School are part of the Plymouth Schools Sports Partnership whose vision is…
“…to create a sustainable PE, School Sport and Physical Activity system as part of the health and well being provision for all children and young people. Our MISSION is to positively impact on the lives of every child and young person attending Partnership schools and their parents/carers through the opportunities that we provide to help them achieve more in life and at school. We promote the Olympic and Paralympic VALUES of Friendship, Respect, Excellence, Determination, Inspiration, Courage and Equality.”
We also part of the School Games network and as such are part of a national project that aims to get more young people participating and engaged in sports and competition. For more information about the School Games please click on the hyperlink above. As part of our sports programme the PSSP run School Games events at regular intervals in the academic year to enable our young people to engage in various level of completion. For upcoming events or to read some of our blogs, please visit www.yourschoolgames.com and search for our school.
Please check out #yfpssport for all of our most recent updates.
Other useful websites